Monday 20 August 2012

Lee Miller

 source: telegraph.co.uk

Right now there's a Lee Miller exhibition shown in Berlin. You knew Lee Miller, VOGUE-model, fashion photograher, war correspondent and, all in one, a very fascinating woman. She was so beautiful, smart and courageous, but her personality had a dark side too, and she was a close friend of the most Surrealists I admire like Max Ernst and Cocteau. 

I mostly appreciate her pictures from World War II, so touching and different. She shows the cruelty of the war and the Nazi crimes in a way you will never forget.

One of the most famous pictures of herself is surely the one that shows her in Hitler's bathroom. It could be seen in the gallery:




For a better view, please visit the exhibition here:

dress: Tara Starlet, years ago
lipstick: lipink Energy Red
fishnet tights: Falke
shoes: Vagabond 
bag: etsy

 The earrings I wore are very special to me and a most-loved pair in my vintage jewellery collection. The are screw ons from the late 40s and made out of pink little mussels and pearls. I bought them on a fleamarket here in Berlin from a granny, wonder how they came the long way from the tropics? Maybe a present from a GI once? A lot of mussel are missing and destroyed, but for me that makes them even more a treasure. Things with scars and a story behind are the best vintage findings, I think.

 I photographed them on the cover of her biographie I'm currently reading, written by her son. They're lying in front of her portrait taken by her ex-lover Man Ray. 

On my way back home, moved by her pictures during the Wartime, I gave an extra attention to the golden flaggins called "Stolpersteine" in German. These stones are scatterd all over Berlin to remind us of the Nazi-victims, mostly Jewish people and members of the resistance. 


I guess that those shall remind us of a mother and her two daugthers, unbelievable that one of them was only ten years old. It's good to have those stumbling blocks. Watch out for them when you visit Berlin. And when you can´t go to the exhibition, you maybe can buy one of Lee Miller's books? You will not regret it, I promise!

source: cosmopolis.ch









No comments:

Post a Comment